I love Hyde Park in the winter. The naked trees gives a even more open feel to the park. the cold makes the walk even more invigorating. This morning was the first time I saw a portion of the Serpentine Lake frozen in the area near the bridge and beyond. I wasn't sure until I spotted two tiny birds standing on the frozen leg - really cute! : )
Two tiny birds standing on the frozen Serpentine Lake in Hyde Park!
As I headed back via Exhibiition Road, I passed the Natural History Museum which set up an ice skating rink every December. It was nice to watch people skate and there was a glass gallery inside the museum that allows people to have coffee and watch the skaters in warm indoor comfort.
I am now packed and ready to leave early tomorrow morning. As I have only hand baggage, I usually take a cab to Paddington and catch the Heathrow Express. It is a very pleasant ride and takes me right inside Terminal 5 itself.
I am looking forward to being home again : ) : )

2 comments:
Hello Bluebells, Are you enjoying this cold weather? I'm not. The river outside my window has started to freeze up. So if it goes on much longer we'll be seeing the ducks and swans skating around on the ice soon.
You're a world traveller - I'm trying to find out which Gatwick terminal my Virgin flight to Barbados goes from on Sunday, but am not having much luck. B.x
Hi Bill,
I looked up Gatwick Airport. It appears most airlines including Virgin Atlantic operate out of the South Terminal. North Terminal is reserved primarily for British and a specific Charter flight. You might want to call Virgin to be doubly sure. I rarely use Gatwick.
It was freezing cold (-7C) when I left London last Sunday. Due to the freeze, Heathrow Express out of Paddington was not operational until after 8:00am so I told the taxidriver to take me all the way to Heathrow T5. Along the way, I saw frost covered greens and frozen streams.
When I took my walk in Hyde Park last Saturday, part of the Serpentine lake nearer Kensington Gardens was frozen and the birds were simply standing on the lake : ) - see pictures on my blog.
I am back in California and it is between 14-16C in the house but it feels a lot colder. I had to turn on all 4 heating systems to keep the house warm. It is nice to be home again - back to open space and blue sky. The alder trees in my backyard are completely bare by now.
I have just got back from the Post Office and sorted out all the mails that were on hold for the last 3 plus weeks. Now I have pay the bills and start packing again as I leave next Tuesday for London.
Have a great trip to Barbados and Miami!
Post a Comment