
Happy Valentine's Day! It is that time of year again when we take time out to express our love to loved ones, family and friends. Forget the commercialization of the day, do take time out to tell someone you care about how much they mean to you because we never know what tomorrow holds.
I have never celebrated Valentine's Day and my H does not believe in it. I do love teddy bears and on occasion when I see cute Valentine's Day teddy bears for sale, I will purchase them to add to my collection of teddy bears - they are seated on sofas and arm chairs around the house. They give a cozy feel to the place.
I have never celebrated Valentine's Day and my H does not believe in it. I do love teddy bears and on occasion when I see cute Valentine's Day teddy bears for sale, I will purchase them to add to my collection of teddy bears - they are seated on sofas and arm chairs around the house. They give a cozy feel to the place.
My three adorable Valentine teddy bears!
Although I personally do not make a big deal of this day, it is a day that is celebrated by many in this United States. The earliest reminder of this day comes in the form of our supermarket paper bags. I am always impressed by my local supermarket's effort to mark events with their paper bags : ). It is kind of neat that they make the effort albeit it is to their advantage because they do have an impressive display of chocolates, flowers and teddy bears to tempt us!
Have a happy and healthy Valentine's Day!
This year, Valentine's Day takes on a new meaning with the tragic death of Beverly Eckert, a widow of a 9/11 victim who was on the Continental Flight 3407 that crashed into a house yesterday. Although it is not certain that ice on the plane was the cause of the crash, analysis of the "black box" and crew conversations indicated that the crew noticed ice on the windshield and leading edges of the wings as they approached Buffalo Niagara International Airport. The anti-icing system was activated and the plane's landing gear was engaged one minute before the crash. It was probably on its last five minutes of flight. Beverly was on her way to Buffalo - her husband's hometown to present a scholarship she set up after her husband Sean Rooney, died in the 9/11 attack and to celebrate his 58th birthday with family and friends.According to news reports, Beverly was a prominent spokeswoman for national anti-terrorism reform. Her group was instrumental in compelling the creation of the 9/11 commission and in persuading lawmakers to pass sweeping reforms of this United States' intelligence apparatus to guard against future attacks.
On 9/11, her husband, who worked for a risk management company called her from the 105th floor of Tower Two to tell her that he was trapped. In an interview in 2006, she revealed "they tried to live the rest of their lives in the few seconds they had left together" before she heard the tower began to collapse. Beverly recently donated a tape recording of their last conversation in which they recapped their life together to the National September 11 Memorial & Museum at Ground Zero.
On this Valentine's Day, Beverly and Sean are reunited. May they find eternal peace and love.
Do take time to tell those you love how you feel about them not just on this Valentine's Day but every now and then because we do not know what tomorrow brings and it may be too late to warm their hearts and fill their spirit with your love.
I had two pleasant surprises today. This morning, I found an e-Valentine card from one of my best girlfriends, Mau. Thanks, Mau - very sweet of you! And this afternoon, I was pleasantly surprised when my H told me that he had made a reservation for dinner this evening at our favorite cafe in Century City. Since we have never gone out for dinner on Valentine's Day, I declare this evening's dinner to be in honor of Beverly's and Sean's love for each other and to celebrate the spirit of love!

8 comments:
Dear Bluebells,
Welcome back to blogland! I enjoyed reading your Valentine's entry. And how sad it was to hear about the death of Beverly Eckert in the recent plane crash. Hope you enjoyed your Valentine's day dinner. You may not know who Rolf Harris is, but have a play of his comments at the end of my latest blog. (He wrote the words on the back of my book.)
Glad you're blogging again Bluebells! Such a heart-wrenchingly sad story you write about, it really puts things in perspective.
Hi Bill and Pootle,
Thanks for the welcome back greetings. I needed time to get myself together after Singapore.
Bill - dinner at the cafe was nice - food was light and healthy (California style). It didn't give a feel we were there because it was Valentine's Day - that would be too artificial.
The cafe was full so it was good that my H made the reservation. We usually go there for our Sunday breakfast because they have a great selection of bread. The waiters know us so they seated us quickly even though we arrived half an hour early.
And yes, I played Rolf's recording - pretty funny - he is a character!
Pootle, yes Beverly's story is heart-wrenching - especially so when a loved one is taken away suddenly.
I am very much affected by such loss because I lost my dad suddenly 27 years ago come March - he suffered a stroke in the late afternoon and was gone before midnight that same day. He was only 57 years old. How he would have loved playing with his three great-granddaughters if he were here today? He would have doted on them and made them chuckle.
I stopped taking life for granted after I lost my dad.
*hug*
Thanks Pootle, for the hug! Sweet of you! Looking forward to catch up with you this Fall.
It is raining cats and dogs out here - expected to last all week. What a bummer!
Hi Bluebells, So glad you are back blogging. This week has been one long session of painting for me. I painted between 8 and 9 hours every day and didn't go out at all in the evenings. That meant I had to cook dinner every day - so boring. Pootle was great help in sorting me out with regard to my blog visitors. I'm sure she thinks I'm senile!
B.
Hi Bill, it's been a busy work week for you - lucky you! Would you like me to send you some easy to cook dinner menu?
You are spoilt with lots of social life out there - it is always quiet out here and we eat-in most week nights unless I don't feel like cooking : ) : ) - that's when my H brings dinner home or we eat at our local Thai or Chinese restaurants - they have great soups especially for cold winter nights. Weekends are my days off - no cooking at all - yippee!
Yes, Pootle is a very sweet, young lady. She is savvy with computers and always ready to help : ): ).
Have a great weekend, Bill! I was out yesterday and the distant mountains (Sierras) were covered with snow - I can see them from the freeway - simply spectacular - looking to see if I can stop somewhere today to take a pic for my next blog - hopefully, it hasn't melted away as sunny days and blue sky are back again!
Hi Bluebells,
Social Life! I've been in every night this week and will be again tonight. But I am going over to my nephew Tim for dinner tommorrow evening - which will be nice. He's a policeman and is in the middle of a firearms instructor's course so has to get back to Bristol by 9.
B.
Post a Comment