Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Sad!


I always feel very sad whenever I read about plane disasters. I read about Air France Flight 447 a couple of nights ago, around 3:30 am in the morning. I usually check the front page of Yahoo before I turn off my computer at the end of the day to get a brief view of what is happening in the world. So, I went to bed with a heavy heart that night (early morning), it didn't help that I had to wake up early that day either. I had a total of 3.5 hours sleep which means I was kind of zobbie all day!

Plane disasters always seemed more tragic because hundreds of people lose their lives at about the same moment. What makes it even more tragic is the reason for their flight. Generally, hopping on a plane means the people are looking forward to a happy event - a much awaited vacation, reuniting with family and friends or a new start in life in a new country. It is not just about the passengers - it is also about people at the other end of journey - all excited and looking forward to receive their loved ones at the arrival hall!

I remember waiting at Gatwick airport one year for my sister-in law to arrive. I was standing near a BA service booth. As the passengers walked through the opague glass doors, there were joyful faces everywhere as they hugged and kissed each other. Have you ever noticed how tired faces light up, big smiles on their faces when they spot love ones in the sea of faces? It was a very memorable sight. At some point, I happened to look at one of the BA staff - she smiled and said - "I love working out here, there is so much happiness and joy as people walk through those doors!"

If you click on the picture, you'll see an enlarged version and the very big and happy smile on the face of the little girl in red pulling a rather big trolley bag behind her : ) : ) - that was pure, unadulterated happiness! That was after a 13-hour night flight with no sleep on the plane!!!

I will always remember the joy that fills the arrival halls at airports and remember that particular morning at Gatwick airport. To those who lost loved ones in this recent Air France disaster, our thoughts and prayers go out to them.

2 comments:

Pootle said...

It is incredibly sad... and how frightening those last moments must have been too.
But I love the photo of the little girl - it just goes to show it's all worth it.

Bluebells in the spring said...

Thanks, Pootle! Yes, I was concerned about what the passengers must have felt during those last 15 minutes. My H reassured me that typically the passengers lose consciousness and everything happens very fast from that point.

Thankfully, air travel is still a relatively safe mode of transportaion and yes, at the end of the day - what awaits once we land safely is well worth it - the joy and happiness!

We live only once - we have to take certain calculated risk - otherwise we'd better off living in a cave : ) : )