Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's Summer Already!

How time flies! It's been four months since my last post. Then, we were heading out to our March annual vacation in Europe. A ritual we have been observing for much of the last 25 years. It is always nice to at Brenner's Park Hotel in Baden Baden. What have I been up to since March?

I hopped over to Singapore at the end of April for slightly over a week. It was the first year memorial of my mum's passing and also the month of the first 100 days of my sis-in-law's passing. By Chinese tradition, there are several important days that mark the passing of loved one - the seventh day, forty-ninth day, one hundredth day and one year. I was not able to be in Singapore for the exact day of my mum's first year anniversary - which was observed by my siblings going to the temple and had prayers conducted by several monks.

So, what I did was have my little brother (not so little but he is the youngest of siblings) take me to the Buddha Tooth Relic Temple in Chinatown where our family ancestral tablet was hosted. We prayed. That was followed by having one of my nieces bring me to yet another temple - Bright Hill Temple where her mum's (my sis-in-law) ashes and tablet were kept and that was also where my mum's ashes were kept. So, I managed to pray to both of them.

As children, we used to spend our weekends going from temple to temple for prayers. I understood very little of the prayer which was in Mandarin or dialet. The fun part for me was the sumptuous spread of a 6-course vegetarian lunch at Bright Hill and hopping on the back of lorries with several other children to get to the next temple. They used to simply lay several planks across the back of the lorry - it was the sense of danger that I enjoy - sitting on the planks unprotected and exposed to the elements. We had to hold on to each other whenever the lorry jerked or went over humps on the road.

Three Rivers - a new TV series


We have a new TV series titled Three Rivers. The second season began a couple of weeks ago. It is difficult to imagine anyone crying while watching a TV series. However, Three Rivers is so touching I cried twice in the first series. I was not merely tearing, I was crying, seriously crying! It is a medical series about organ transplants.

Somewhere in my memory bank, I remember someone saying we came into this world whole, we want to leave this world whole. We do not want to be autopsied or give our organs away when we die. Perhaps, I still have images of all the ghost movies I saw growing up and the image of a ghost without a head or an organ was eerie and still is. I am therefore opposed to having my body cut up when I die, whether it is for autopsy purpose or for organ transplants. My wish is also clearly stated in my Advanced Health Care Directive which is a part of my estate planning documents.

Three Rivers presented an aspect of organ transplant that I have not considered or reflected upon. That is, many lives can be saved by those who have specified that they wish to donate their organs upon certification of death. An organ donor upon death could give as many of 6-8 people in need of organ transplant a new lease in life.

The series shows the pain families go through and how an organ could ease their pain and give them an opportunity to be whole again as a family. The series also shows the emotional turmoil of family members when decisions about organ donations were unclear and not in writing. It is a very emotionally charged series and uplifting at the same time because for the most part, those in need of an organ transplant gets a second chance to live a normal life again. It also gave insight to the urgency of getting viable organs to the patients - timing was critical. In one episode, it dealt with the difficult decision process of determining who on the waiting list gets the organs.

The effect of the series caused me to rethink my perspective about organ transplant. Deep down, I believe when we die, that's it. At the same time, I'd like to believe that we go on to the next world either to reunite with loved ones or be reincarnated again at some point. Maybe, there is a heaven where life is peaceful and beautiful and there is no more pain and suffering. We'll never know what really happens after we pass.

If it is that's it when we die, doesn't it make sense for all of us to be organ donors. We could at least give those still living and in need of organs a second chance in life and give their family some relief from the pain and suffering of watching their loved ones die because we selfishly hold on to organs we no longer need.

I am still conflicted. I can see the good in being an organ donor but I also need to know that I am whole (not missing organs and parts) when they cremate me. It is kind of silly - why waste all those good organs when I plan to be cremated at death. Besides, I am assuming I'll die whole. Life is full of surprises. This is one decision that will have to evolve. As it stands now, I have to be selfish and declare that I'd like to leave this world the same way I enter it - whole!

Deer spotting


A month ago, as I was leaving the main gate of our home, I spotted two deers in a headlock on a vacant lot just outisde our main gate. When they realized I was there, they changed position, stood back to back and began a staring down match with me.

After a while, I saw a smaller deer emerged from the brush by the creek. Was that back to back position actually a defensive position to protect the younger deer? As soon as the younger deer emerged, they decided to end the staring match and agily climbed up the slope by our neighbor's home.

World Cup and Summer Holidays
Usually, this time of year I would be enjoying summer vacation in Europe or hopping over to Asia for some school holiday travel with my nephew and other family members. Now, my wings are clipped with my practice. Sigh! I have to limit my travels and give my practice a chance to grow and develop. I hope the sacrifice pays off and something good comes out the practice.

It's World Cup time again. Not feeling the World Cup fever out here! Not surprising! Few Americans are into soccer!

4 comments:

Pootle said...

Great that you're back blogging again Bluebells! I admit I have also let my blog lapse of late. Great pics of the deer, you're lucky to have them living on your doorstep.

Bluebells in the spring said...

Ha! I have been visiting your blog and noticed that you have lapsed, too. It is difficult to stay on top of it while trying to get used to my new work routine after spending much of my last 25 years at a very leisurely pace. Some days, I am just too tired after work and my gym to blog. All I want to do at the end of the day is to vegetate in front of the tele and fall asleep : ) : )

Will try and be more regular as I get settled into my new routine and schedule.

How have you been?

Love,
Bluebells

Bill's Blog said...

Hi Bluebells,
It's good to see your are back blogging after such a long time away. Interesting to read your comments about death and the afterlife. I feel about the same as you.
I'm planning to be in Bangkok around the first week in November (if Maurice can put me up) and in Singapore a week later for about 8 days. Any chance of you being there at the same time as it would be great to meet up again? I still haven't started eating the chocolate shoe as I'm saving it for a special occasion. (Maybe when we are watching England win the World Cup!)Some hopes - after the first game against your side.
Love from Bill

Bluebells in the spring said...

Hi Bill,
At the moment, I have no plans to go to Singapore in early November. Yes, it would be truly nice to catch up again in Singapore. Maurice is very patient. I expect you guys will have loads of fun catching up with old pals and reminiscing about the good old days.

We'll be in London from Nov 24-28 for the Thanksgiving break. Depending on how things go at work and at home in Singapore, I could take off early to London and continue to Singapore for a week. Will let you know if I can hop over to Singapore in mid-November.

I grew up with many classic Chinese movies about ghosts and consequences of our actions in life on our afterlife so reflections about death is second nature to me. However, the organ donation part upon death is not something I think about. It is a difficult decision given my strong Chineseness about that sort of thing.

Heading out to Frisco this weekend for a seminar.

BTW, discovered yesterday morning that we do have live broadcast of the World Cup in the mornings - too bad I have to go to work : ( : ( . It does not appear that they have a repeat broadcast in the evenings - they have only highlights at prime time : (. Saw a little of Italy v. Paraguay yesterday morning.

I have been wondering about your chocolate shoe : ) : ), I have to submit that England winning the World Cup would be a very good reason to savor the "shoe" : )

Have a great week, Bill!

Love,
Bluebells