Monday, November 3, 2008

Rain came early this year!

Apparitions hanging around an oak tree at the Oaks Mall

This weekend was marked with a scattering of rain which gave the exterior of the house and the paved areas a good, thorough cleaning. The reddish brown tiled roof of the house is now back to their former brilliance and the paved areas are rid of that thin coat of light dust.

Today has been grey and cold. I am definitely opposed to daylight saving and turning back the clock as it gets dark way too early for my liking. I don't mind "springing forward" though. I have just changed all the clocks for the landscape lights so they would come on an hour earlier as well. I am pleased the gardeners and housecleaners have gone for the day and the house is nice and quiet again except for the commentary from O'Reilly on Fox News which I can hear from my computer desk area. The TV is in the family room across the hallway from the "home office" where my desk is located.

And yes, the beautiful white peacock in my previous post has nothing to do with Halloween. I was merely testing the photos upload function and had no clue how to delete it after I was done with the test. The dazzling white peacock was taken by my sister in August when the family visited the Jiangnan region of China. I believe they spotted it in Hangzhou.

I have never been big on Halloween or participated in its activities. Because we have always lived in gated communities which tend to have fewer young families with children and our home is gated as well, it is not easy for treat or tricksters to access our home. However, we did find a couple of apparitions hanging around a beautiful oak tree at our local mall when we went there for lunch last Saturday, day after Halloween.

Yesterday, I came across an interesting article on "12 simple ways to supercharge your brain" and was intrigued to find among other things that it included "Starting a Blog." I was somewhat puzzled why writing a blog would "supercharge" your brain and concluded that perhaps writing a blog compels one to recall events, put them into words which occasionally requires digging into our memory bank for words that we may not use in normal daily conversation. Blogging also tunes us to be more observant of things around us, see the beauty in simple daily life and thus we become more engaged in life itself! Bravo!

I heard about blogging more than a year ago but have been reluctant to embark on it because of its rather public nature plus the fact that I was going through law school in my "senior" years (all the more taxing on my fast age degenerating brain power) and did not have the time or the inclination to engage in more writing after spending hours on voluminous law books and legal writing.

I changed my mind about blogging after I became active with my Facebook account a couple of months ago. Now, I feel more confident that some degree of privacy can still be maintained even though it is a public forum as there are settings that I can use to limit public access. I am also taking a break from the Calbar, so I have a little more time on my hands for the next few months. So, here I am completing my second post!

2 comments:

Bill's Blog said...

Dear Bluebell girl. That's s lovely peacock picture so why not leave it on. However you can delete pictures by going to New Posts, then click the edit button. When you see the blog you want to delete or edit again just click where it seems logical and do what you want. It took me ages to work out how to do captions but you have done it in one. X

Bluebells in the spring said...

Hi Bill, I am still learning to manoeuvre the various options available. I still have not figured out how to insert pictures between paragraphs like you do in your blog. The photos tend to go to the top of the page even though I place my cursor where I want the pictures to appear.