And, we saw that at the much awaited opening of the new Muvico Theater (cinema) at our recently upgraded mall. It opened its doors for the first time last Friday at 10:00 am. I booked online 2 premier seats (over-21 seats) for the 8:00 pm screening.
You may wonder what the big deal is about a new cinema! Well, Muvico is a high-end cinema operator out of Florida. Muvico 14 in our town has premier seats in only three of its 14 auditoriums. These are balcony seats on the second level with its own entrances. Cinemas in this United States rarely have balcony seating.
Premier seats are plush 74-inch love seats equipped to hold shelves for entrees and appetizers and the cup holders are large enough to hold a bottle of wine. The premier concession stand offers in addition to traditional movie fare, crispy calamari (yummmmmy!), bacon-wrapped dates, mini-crab cakes, burger and sushi. Beverages include beer, champagne and wine. And best of all, we can bring all the goodies to our seats.
We arrived early to check out facilities. The premier level concession and Bogart’s Bar and Grill were buzzling with people who were clearly enjoying the new experience. Bogart’s Bar and Grill had a 45 minutes wait – so we ordered sushi and crispy calamari to bring to our seats. Popcorns are free in the premier seating. It is kind of strange to watch people stroll to their seats with wine bottle and wine glasses, champagne, martini’s, beer mugs etc.
Bogart's Bar and Grill and the Dome above (quite beautiful)
According to the designers, the theme of the theater is turn-of-the-century Paris. I don’t know what Paris looked like then, so I cannot comment on its authenticity. The main architectural feature is the theater’s lobby rotunda space capped by a copper-like dome that is supposed to resemble the Opera House of Paris. Again, I have seen the outside of the Opera House in Paris, but don’t recall ever going inside. In any case, the dome looks quite beautiful.
Valet service for Premier guests - canopy with settee
Outside, there is a curbside valet parking for guests who bought Premier tickets. There were quite a few sheriffs hanging about on opening night. Not quite sure why they would be needed as we live in a very quiet, generally non-violent town.
For parents with little ones, there is “Baby Tuesday” which allows free admission for children age 3 and under and matinee pricing for parents. Theater lights will remain and the sound level will be adjusted with babies in mind. Parents with children between ages 3 and 8 can eventually enjoy a movie together when the fully supervised playroom, staffed by certified educators for children is ready. The children can choose from supervised games, movies and crafts. So, going to the movies is still very much part of the culture of this United States. Friday is the day when new movies are launched.

Slum in Mumbai
Both my H and I somehow expected more from Slumdog Millionaire. The scenes of the slum were amazing. Sadly, it still exists today. My H was in Bangalore at the end of January this year. It was his first trip to India. He can’t believe that people would build huge gleaming luxurious homes all walled-in and steps from that luxury – slums! I asked, “Wouldn’t it make sense to have a few less gold fixtures in those homes and use the money instead to at least improve the surrounds.”
It reminds me of the life of young Gautama Buddha, how his father tried to protect him from seeing the misery outside the walls of the palace. It made an impact on him when he saw what was beyond the walls of his father’s palace when he turned 18 (I think). How could it not have any impact on the rich who lived near the slums. They must see it every time they get out of their homes. Perhaps, they wear blinders and have dark tinted windows in their chauffeur driven cars whenever they leave their houses.
A colleague of mine, from my very first job, visited India in the early 80s. She came back with stories about the poverty, about parents and exploiters of children deliberately maiming the children so they could solicit greater sense of pity and charity from passers-by. It turned me inside out to hear that. From that day on, I told myself I will not go to India because it would be too much to bear – it would be too difficult to see the children and know that they were disfigured for immoral reasons.
My H’s sales engineer who grew up in India, traveled with him to Bangalore> He told my H not to look into the eyes of the children beggars on the streets – no eye contact! How do the rich in India avoid seeing the poverty around them for years and years and not be moved to do something to change the condition of their fellow citizens?
I have seen poverty of a different kind in Myanmar when I participated in a Buddhist pilgrimage trip in the late 90s. I did not actually see any slums there. Much of Myanmar is pastoral – life centers around farming the land or by the waterways which include farming some kind of vegetable that thrives on water (they float like lotus plants) and fishing.
Lone fisherman on Inle Lake, Myanmar
Life is simple – people generally live off the land. They clearly do not have the modern conveniences that we take for granted. In the remote towns, facilities were not exactly forthcoming and toilets were mostly still primitive including the outhouses that were more horrendous than what I saw in Slumdog. Some may say they are live in poverty, but from my perspective they enjoy a simple, uncomplicated life. They have family and religion (most of them are Buddhists). They have a roof over their head, food on the table and they are healthy and strong enough to work the fields and the rivers. What more does one need in life?
Not quite satisfied with Slumdog, we decided to see "Taken" on Saturday at the Mann Theater near our home. "Taken" stars Liam Neeson - he is one of my favorite actors and generally makes good movies. This movie is action-packed but unfortunately it is a so-so movie about him rescueing his daughter who was kidnapped in Paris by people involved in trading of the flesh. If I have the time, I may try and catch "The Reader" starring Kate Winslet. I read the book years ago - it was kind of slow and monotonous. Friend of mine saw the movie and said it was kind of slow but nice.
Last Monday, my H went back to the dentist because the filling that the dentist inserted some weeks ago came off completely. Whenever my H has his dental appointments, usually scheduled during lunch hour, we would meet for lunch at Claim Jumper located The Lakes, another lovely open mall in our neighborhood and very close the dentist's office.
Claim Jumper is a chain of restaurants that is designed like huge log houses. They have huge stone fireplaces and their servers (waiters) wear name tags in the shape of a Sheriff's star. A claim jumper in fact one who illegally occupies property to which another has a legal claim. I guess that is why we need the Sheriffs : ) : ).
What Claim Jumper is probably more famous for is its 6-layer Chocolate Motherlode Cake. It may gross some people out because of its mere size and the way it is served (with a knife pierced through it) but it is really a very, nice light chocolate cake : ) : ) - I am a self-confessed chocoholic and no, we did not finish the cake by ourselves although the server assured us that some couples could. My H brought the remaining 2/3 to his office for his staff.


12 comments:
Hi Bluebells,
As an avid cinema-goer I'm intrigued by your new cinema and its Premier seats. Wish we had one in Henley. If I was in charge I'd ban popcorn from those seats - and anything else that makes a noise or smell.
I used to visit India a great deal when I was in advertising, and always remember my first visit to Calcutta. I was staying with an Indian family and was given a car and driver while Zerina (my hostess) was at work. We stopped at a traffic light and hordes of small children crowded round the car. I was just about to wind the window down and give them some money when the driver warned me not to beacuse they's all come swarming into the car. I'll never forget the absolute despair in the eyes of one little boy. I met a lot of rich men on that occassion - Biki Oberoi, Sam Manecshaw,etc - and suggested that they give half their fortunes to help the poor. They replied that it would only end up in the pocket of Mrs Gandhi (the PM at the time) and her political colleagues.
B.x
Hi Bill, I have waited a long time for the premier-seat style theater to come to our town. I think ours is very elegantly designed. The Bogart's Bar and Grill is a very nice touch but it means we have to be there well before the movie starts to enjoy a nice dinner.
Singapore has premier-style theater for the last 5-6 years. It is at the cineplex next to Mandarin Hotel. I rarely have time to see movies in Singapore so I have not had the chance to check it out. My nephew enjoyed it very much.
In Melbourne (Australia) they call it Gold Pass. Their seats are fully reclinable. You order your finger food and drinks and tell them what time you want it delivered to your seats. I don't think it is a good idea to eat, even if it is only finger food while the movie is on.
Bill, you can't be in charge of cinemas because I love popcorns with my movies and sometimes a hotdog if I am hungry. That is part of the fun of going to the movies. Don't worry, I always finish them before the movie starts.
We are movie goers too, new movies open on Fridays. If they are good, we usually see them the first weekend of their launch.
About India, I don't understand why the rich have to give money to the government to help the poor.
They can always develop low cost private housing, build private free hospitals, private orphanage, private free school for the poor community near their homes, pave the roads and clean the thrash in their own community. All these projects not only benefit the community when ready, they also provide employment which will boost the economy in their little community.
There is no need to go to the government except maybe to get permits for the projects. It takes only one rich person to get the ball rolling and slums would disappear in no time.
There is a lot of history and culture in India. Lots of well-educated and smart people out there. Absolutely no reason for them to still have slums. I would love to visit India some day.
I enjoyed Myanmar a lot, that picture of the lone fisherman is a typical sight on the lakes. I have some beautiful pictures but they are not digital so I can't post them easily.
Have a great weekend, Bill!
Mmmm, chocolate! Wish I could eat something like that, I'm bored of soup already :( And I like popcorn too, so I hope Bill never gets to be in charge of Henley cinema!
I've never been to India but I can imagine how difficult it is to see such poverty, and to not be able to help everyone. But everybody I know who has been has said that it is a wonderful place, so I hope I get to go one day.
Hi Pootle, ditto to Bill not being allowed to be in charge of cinemas!
Hope you feel better soon!
I'm outnumbered! I still don't like the smell of popcorn - especially if it's being eaten right next to my ear. So I can't count on both your votes if I ever become a cinema manager, can I?
B.x
If I ever spot you in the cinema Bill I'll make sure to sit as far away as possible with my popcorn!
Bill, you will definitely have two less votes if you become cinema manager!
Pootle, looks like we can't never catch a movie with Bill then - what a shame!!!
I might let you bring popcorn into the cinema as long as you eat it quickly. But I'm a suckeras far as women are concerned - especially to my nice blogger buddies. I had coffe with Paul and Debbie yesterday. He suggested I join the world of 'Twitters'. I think I need a mobile phone with internet access to make it worthwhile don't I? B.x
Sounds like a good compromise for the cinema. No yawning though! :) You can do Twitter from the web easily enough... only really need a phone if you want to keep posting updates every minute of every day. Let us know if you join so we can follow you!
Thanks Bill, for the special concession to your blogland buddies.
Twitter was started in the 90s (I think) and got really popular in the last couple of years (for all questions about electronic gadgets - computers, mobile phones, TV, home cinema etc, check out Leo on my Links list). Some Hollywood stars are among the most prolific twitters.
It works like your email and blogs - except you write short status notes throughout the day - basically you can twitter "every breadth you take, every move you make," and your followers will be kept informed. It is a short form status report. Great way to stay in constant contact with friends and family especially when you are traveling.
It works with mobile phones, instant messaging and internet. Kind of fun! I have a twitter account but it is not active.
There is something similar called Plurk Timeline. There will be others since it is the current rave!
Rest well in Suffolk, Pootle and have a pleasant weekend, Bill!
My phone is old-fashionmed - it just makes and receieves phone calls! How out-of-date is that. I carry a camera for photos and go on line at home. Still one day when I upgrade maybe I'll twitter.
B.x
Hi Bill, phones are really cheap these days - they basically come for free with renewal of your mobile service : ) : ). Let us know when you are ready to twitter!
Post a Comment